Patrolling requires a significant commitment, and is a lot of fun. As a candidate you will go through 5 steps to join the team.
Once you've passed the "Basic" test, maintaining membership requires that you patrol 14 days a year and attend Alpine Meadows refreshers in the fall and winter. All requirements can be met on weekends.
- Pass a ski check. Alpine Meadows has some very challenging terrain which you must be able to competently negotiate in a strong stable manner. Before your ski check we recommend you get a few days on your boards. In addition to organized group ski checks, with some prior notice you can stop by the patrol room most weekends and arrange for a ski check that day.
- Fill out and submit registration forms and pay annual membership dues.
- Complete the National Ski Patrol's "Outdoor Emergency Care" course (only offered during the summer/fall) and CPR for the Professional Rescuer. For a list of available courses, go to: http://www.easternsierraregion.org/OEC/OEC.html
- Attend candidate training sessions at Alpine Meadows two weekends per month.
- Pass Alpine Meadows "Basic" OEC and Ski Proficiency test in the spring.